Saturday, July 11, 2015

Camp Day 1! From the voice of Katie Northenscold

We Are Here

First day of camp has been completed and it was the definition of fantastic. I would say perfect, but we all know that only one thing in this entire world is perfect; Jesus. The day started out like any other day in Skoczow, Poland. Breakfast at the Hotel Karet followed by squishing together on tiny couches to go over Romans and spend time with God. Today we went over Romans chapter 5. We have questions that go along with the reading to help us dig deeper into the word of God and help us have a better understanding of it. Reading over Romans 5, I couldn’t help but allow my lips to curve into the biggest smile any person has ever seen. I absolutely loved every word that came out of this chapter. I mean, I love all of Romans, but verse 8 explains Jesus’ love in its entirety so amazingly. It says, “but God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” We are all sinners, “sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men because all sinned.” I’m still amazed at the fact that even though I’m a sinful creature, even though I act against God, even though I think I’m righteous and good; I’m not, God sent His son to earth to save me. He loved me so much that He wanted to see me succeed. He wants to see us all succeed. Over and over again Abby has taught us that God created for one main purpose, to have a relationship with Him and this verse proves it (Romans 5:8). If He had wanted us to perish and not be with Him, He wouldn’t have sent His one and only son to die on the cross. To go through such torture and pain for a race that only falls short every time we try to get to Him. His love is so amazing and I see it every single day. He shows it through the students at camp, and through the Polish team, and through the American team, and through every beautiful thing I have had the priveledge to encounter every day I’m in Poland.
            I’m pleased to announce that I am officially a Purple Elephant with Angela and six of the students at camp. Sonia, Kinga, Piotrek, Arek, Natalia, and Marcin. I’m so happy to be apart of this team and I can’t wait for more days to come. The day was filled with fun activities from different workshops such as, making duct tape…well anything. Playing sports in the gym, and playing various card games that I found out are quite difficult. I think we, in America, like to make things easy because we’re so incredibly lazy…not in Poland. You want to play Uno? Be ready to have a bruise on your head. Card games are serious business, it’s a do or die situation. Other activities included eating a fabulous lunch that consisted of salad and rice as well as a shishkabob. Who would of thunk it!? I got to know a wonderful girl by the name of Weronica (pronounced Veronica) and she made me realize that I need to move to Ireland. She had lived in Ireland for three years before moving back to Poland and she explained to me how much she loves red hair. I think Ireland is my home country. J Before lunch, my English partner and I taught our first hour of English together. In all honesty, I was a bit surprised at how well it went. I was nervous, a little scared and I had thoughts roaming in my head that were only placed there by the enemy. The problem was, I couldn’t get them out. I tried praying continuously throughout the day, to be in contact with God and to lean on Him when the enemy’s voice screamed in my head. Let me tell you something, God grabbed the enemy by the hair and pulled him down. He made sure that I trusted in Him instead of believing the lies. Did I say how amazing our Lord is? Because He is so amazing. God gave me the confidence that I needed and the energy to keep moving forward. To teach the students that came there to learn. Of course, because of God’s will, we had a great class. We laughed and talked and got to know each other. We played games and worked on the “th” pronunciation, which they are getting better at. I couldn’t of taught like I had without the Lord watching over me and guiding me through every inch. Thank you.
            Taking a different turn of events, Mac ripped his pants. I’m not saying like a small, little tare, I’m saying the pants are done; never to be worn again. It’s all because of four square and a bigger stride then he should have taken. He got some new pants though (taking what he would call the “ride of shame” with Domi back to the hotel), once again, God provided. J It was Kate’s birthday today. So wherever you are, stop reading this for a second and sing happy birthday to her. She is an amazing women and I’m so glad that I have had the priveledge of getting to know her. God has sculpted her into a beautiful, strong; God fearing women and I can’t wait to see the plans He has for her. I know that they will be bright.
            To summarize the day, it was a success. I pray that we will all have plenty of more great days like this, and that when we don’t, that we won’t falter, but that we will look to our Lord and Savior for help. That we will stay our happy, joyful selves and that we can give all of this to God, because this is ALL for Him. I pray that we will let His will be done, always. I pray for the Polish team, and I thank God for the Polish team because there is no way that any of this would be possible without their passion for Christ and their willingness to help, not only the campers but also all of us on the Timberwood team. I love them all dearly and I pray that they will go about every day with hearts set on Christ, that we all can. He died for us because His love is unfailing. There’s no greater thing than that.


7 comments:

  1. Praise God for such a good first day of camp!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a full day of fun and God! Glad things are going well. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will pray for more successful days like this one. May God bless you all. Stay safe and enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will pray for more successful days like this one. May God bless you all. Stay safe and enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to be able to hear about your travels and experiences. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Not all Americans are lazy. I'm pretty sure I taught them the head slap on a zero. They used to just slap the table on an 8. Glad you are having fun! We prayed for all of you at our Detroit meeting today.

    ReplyDelete