Wednesday, July 30, 2014

From the heart and voice of Ellie Erholtz

We left the hotel this morning excited and expectant for what the “field trip” would entail. In years past, this day has been set apart for spiritual conversations between the campers and us.  With our hearts and minds set on God-centered and ordained conversations, we met the campers at the train station that was to take us to Ustron, the city where we would be hiking.

The rest of the day happened in the blink of an eye. We got to Ustrón, climbed the steepest mountain known to man me, and had some lunch. After lunch we got to partake in a high-ropes course: fun (and a little fright) was had by all. We finished out the day with a bonfire where we roasted kielbasa. We then walked back down the mountain and made it to our train, which took us back to Skoczow. Like I said before, it happened in the blink of an eye. 

Personally, I felt God’s presence all day, prompting and guiding me through conversations with many campers. I find that the best things have been happening at camp when I decide against my own will, and follow His. One conversation that left me smiling was with a girl I hadn’t had the chance to talk to at camp up to this point. I was really quite exhausted from the whole trip and we were on our way back to the train station. I knew that I needed to talk to her as we had been walking side-by-side for a while without saying much. I had many conversation starters running through my head, but I still didn’t say anything. After a few more quiet moments, she started up conversation (atypical Polish behavior, as Poles tend to be more reserved around strangers… All credit goes to God whose hand enveloped this whole conversation). We talked for the rest of the trip home covering everything in our lives. She already has entrusted Jesus with her life, so we both shared some sweet things about our lives and the journey we’ve had in becoming followers of Christ. At one point in the conversation we were comparing Poles and Americans. I opened up that although it may seem like I am pretty outgoing at camp, I am usually a very reserved person. God spoke right through her, saying it is Him who allows us, two reserved people, to connect in such a short frame of time with not much commonality. Can I get an amen? Anyway, I found the conversation very encouraging, as I hope she did too.

This trip has been especially encouraging for me. One of my favorite things is hearing about the small group discussions (the Polish youth group members lead a small group of students in discussion about a certain passage of the Bible and the main points from Abby’s message), and each night at debrief there are multiple stories of them following God’s guidance in their conversations. They are anything but coy when it comes to the Gospel and telling the truth’s of God. It is such an impactful reminder of how important (and urgent) the commandment “go and make disciples,” should/can be a part of our lives.

Thank you all for your prayers. God is moving greatly in Skoczow. Continued prayers for tomorrow as the culmination of camp, the labyrinth, will be taking place. This will be a night where the choice of living for God’s “upside down” kingdom will be rightfully painted in black and white. Please pray for the camper’s hearts to be open to saying “yes,” and all the transformation that entails. Please pray for the Polish youth group members as they will be having many spiritual conversations, pray that their word’s are straight from God, and that they wouldn’t be ashamed to share them. Pray for our hearts as we prepare to have more conversations about our faith in the Lord. Pray for Abby as she will be sharing the message that the student’s will need to respond to.


Thank you, thank you, thank you—your prayers are treasures to us.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Ellie. Another great testimony to God's great work. Being in HIS will is the best place to be. Nothing else compares. Continued blessings. Peace unto you all. --John & Cindy Gudahl

    ReplyDelete